Thursday, June 23, 2011

For Trisha




I just want to start out by saying this post isn't a typical one. It doesn't include tips for the sexiest summer lingerie or the new it-spot to find a sugarfree martini. It isn't fun, but it is more than necessary.

My childhood friend Trisha Sadler was violently murdered by her nine year boyfriend in her Bethlehem, PA home last friday. I don't wish to recount the graphic details, but the local authorities and co-workers have revealed that she had been in an abusive relationship with her boyfriend for several years. She apparently instructed co-workers to call the police if she didn't show up to work as he had previously threatened to kill her.

When my other childhood friend, Erin, called me this week to inform me we both stayed on the phone for what felt like hours silenced from shock. Erin and I have remained friends since the days of playing in our yard in Carlisle, Pennsylvania but both of us had lost contact with Trisha over the years as her family had moved from the neighborhood when we were still in middle school.

Trisha was an extremely caring and generous young girl. It seems like only yesterday that she was patiently helping me and several other younger girls with cheerleading routines as we struggled to remember all the positions that she had gracefully mastered. Trisha loved everything girly and glamourous -we used to play with her Barbies and paint each others nails in her bedroom for hours. The below photo is the two of us performing Material Girl in dresses from my mom's closet.



I had always assumed she would grow up to be an amazing choreographer or esthetician, get married, have children and live happily ever after. I never expected to hear the devestating news I recieved this Monday morning. In an effort to express our love and to honor Trisha's memory, Erin and I have been searching for a memorial service or a location to send tokens of our sympathy.

As we've been unable to locate any information so far (if anyone reading this has any additional info please contact me directly) In the meantime we have come up with an alternate plan. We have donated directly to the National Coalition against domestic violence in Memory of Trisha Sadler, and we encourage you to do the same:

www.ncadv.org


Please pass this on to anyone who knew Trisha and help us to honor her memory.

Thank you so much!

No comments: